Monday 12 January 2015

Maze Runner Trilogy Review


The Maze Runner is the first book in a young-adult post-apocalyptic science fiction trilogy of the same name by James Dashner. (Wikipedia)


So I bought the Maze Runner box set just before the holidays, but I didn't get around to starting it until the new year. (Just in time for the Reading Challenge)

Short Version- 3.5/5 stars.

Long Version-

I'm not big on post-apocalyptic worlds to begin with, but I saw the trailer for the movie and it looked interesting. The library had something like a 70 person waiting list, whereas I could buy the box set for $15.00.

I found the main character Thomas interesting, however the whole first chapter was a struggle to get through. (Something I imagine the main character felt as well)  The new slang (which was rarely explained) was hard to wrap my head around as was imagining the Grievers.

Once I got through the first couple chapters the book went by in a breeze. It was horrific to think that people where putting these children through such terrible conditions and elements as a scientific study.

I finished the book within a couple hours and then dissatisfied with the ending, I had to finish the trilogy that night.

I won't spoil the rest for you, but I was mildly irritated once I did finish it. (Even more so then when I read Divergent)

Then a week later I decided to read the prequel to see where all this disease had come from.

I may have thrown the book across the room shouting about the stupidity of government.

SPOILERS-





The Flare is a man made disease released by the government to curb the population in light of declining resources due to the Solar Flares (which were a natural occurrence)

THEY DID THIS KNOWING THAT IT WASN'T READY. THEY DID THIS KNOWING THAT THEY DID NOT HAVE A CURE. THEY DIDN'T EVEN HAVE A WAY TO PROTECT THEMSELVES FROM GETTING THE DAMN THING.

WHO THE FUCK PUT THESE PEOPLE IN CHARGE OF SCIENCE THINGS!


No comments:

Post a Comment