Wednesday 20 August 2014

LeakyCon 2014 ORLANDO- The beginning

So I've come to the conclusion I only blog after conventions... and occasionally before.

I was fortunate enough to be able to attend LeakyCon 2014 Orlando this year. It was held at the Orange County Convention Centre, and was 5 days of awesome nerdiness.

I flew out of B.C Sunday night. This would be my first time flying international and I was a bit nervous. So naturally I got picked for extra screening....AT EVERY AIRPORT. What did make me feel better about leaving was as I was about to board the plane, the airport music had changed to Lord of the Rings. I'm going on an ADVENTURE!

I had a layover at LAX which was long (thank god). Customs almost didn't let me into the States. Since my passport photo was taken 2 years ago, I have cut almost all my hair off and now sport a pixie cut. The customs officer asked me about 30 different questions, and finally let me through after he decided that indeed.... my chin still looked similar to the one on my passport.

If you have never been to LAX, you are most fortunate. It took me about 20 minutes to find my departure gate (and this included having directions). It does however have the coolest sparkly floors. They literally look like you're walking on pixie  dust. So that was kinda magical. I was also incredibly worried I was going to lose my luggage since I had to get it and then hand it off to someone else who was just like yes.. yes.. no worries.

(It's now 2am... and I think my luggage is lost)

I landed in Orlando first thing Monday morning to the humidity that Florida is known for. It was akin to walking into a sauna for the first time. I don't particularly like saunas... I barely like hot springs. on the plus side. My luggage made it through, even if it now looked like someone did lines of cocaine off it.... (There was white powder crap on it).

Arriving at the Rosen Plaza ( I was one of the few who didn't have their room moved on them) a bit tired and hungry I found myself locked out of my room. (My friend Abby had arrived the night before and had put the dead bolt on) Thankfully she woke up and let me in.


(Quirrel forgives you for locking me out of the dungeon)

I couldn't sleep. I mostly just allowed being overtired to take over and dress up like Quirrell.... TROLL IN THE DUNGEON... Slytherins to your dormitories. Hunger ensued so we went on an adventure to Dennys where I ordered Belgium Waffles and found out that the whipped topping isn't whip cream... its butter. It doesn't taste good in globs in your mouth.

Eventually through Monday afternoon and Tuesday all my room mates joined us. We even had a temporary room mate... PIZZA GIRL. (Actually her name is Margot and she is very awesome. Check out her channel and especially this song --> Margot's Pizza Song )

Tuesday I spent stuffing swag bags.... like a lot of swag bags. I never want to see button pins again... SO YOU ALL BETTER APPRECIATE THOSE STEAMPUNK CLOCK PINS. (And if you got more then one in your bag that's because I love you... and not because at point me and my partner were jokingly fighting over who got the pin in the bag first)

UP NEXT - Open at the Close Private Event

No comments:

Post a Comment